The trip starts with drive from Kathmandu through the friendship bridge. After completion of the immigration formalities at Zhangmu we drive to Nyalam, the first night. Next day we continue drive to Old Tingri and start trekking to North Everest Base Camp. The trek will follow the historic expedition route from Old Tingri to Rongbuk crossing over the Langma La pass-16,900 feet. Following the route to North Everest Base Camp you will have enough time to explore the Rongbuk glacier below the massive north-face of Mt. Everest. After having the magnificent views of worlds highest mountain scenery you will be back to Kathmandu. The trek portion will be supported by a expert Nepalese Sherpa team. Our professional chef will prepare all meals and other field staff will take care of camping and transport to the supplies (camping /kitchen materials and luggage) for which we use yaks and/or truck.
Tibet a place for the traveler to cast away any preconceptions you may have and join in the journey of discovery along the way... at least for a while. We have designed a several tours to suit of interests although we are always open to create new ideas and respect your suggestion.
Day by Day Itinerary:
Day 01 FLIGHT KATHMANDU - LHASA,
Transfers to the airport for the flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa on China Southwest Airlines. This one hour Trans Himalayan Flight will give you an opportunity to have an aerial view of the Mt. Everest and other Himalayan Peaks (weather permitting). Arrival at Gonggar airport around 13.30 hrs. Local time. After clearing immigration and customs it will be a two hour drive to cover the 93 km. to Lhasa which is situated at a altitude of 3650 meters (13,000ft). Upon arrival we check in at the Snowland hotel, right in the heart of the old city.
Day 02/03/04 SIGHTSEEING,
During these three days in Lhasa we visit the Potala palace, Drepung and Sera monasteries, the Norbulinka and of course the famous Jokhang temple including the surrounding Barkhor.
Day 05 LHASA - GYANTSE,
You begin your overland adventure with a full day drive to Gyantse. Along the way you cross the Kamba la (4794m) and the Karo la pass (5010m), both grant spectacular views. After the Kamba la you come to Yamdrok tso, also known as the Turquoise lake. You'll want to have your camera ready. Altitude 3900m.
Day 06 GYANTSE - SHIGATSE,
This will be a busy day. In the morning visit Gyantse stupa and monastery followed by a two hour drive to Shigatse. Here see the giant Buddha in the famous Tashilumpo monastery. The seat of the Panchen Lama. Altitude 3800m.
Day 07 SHIGATSE - LHATSE,
The journey today brings you over two high passes with fine views. For lunch we stop in the small town of Lhatse . Depending on how much time we spend during the morning in Shigatse we might stay overnight in Lhatse. Altitude 4350m. /4000m.*
Day 08 LHATSE - ROMBUK,
Begins with the Tsho La (4500m) and ends with the spectacular view of Mt. Everest from Rombuk monastery. Relax tonight and stroll around the monastery. Altitude 5050m., hotel
Day 09 ROMBUK - LAO TINGRI,
Get up early and start the 2-3 hour leisurely walk (one way) to the base-camp (5200m) itself. You should return early afternoon to head to Lao Tingri. Lao Tingri is a small Tibetan town that offers the best view even from a toilet that you're unable to experience from anywhere in the world. Altitude 4200 m., hotel *
Day 10 LAO TINGRI - ZHANG MU - KATHMANDU,
Make sure you have some photos left for the panoramic view of the Himalayan range as you cross the Lalung la pass (5050m). In the evening relax in Kathmandu
Where should I purchase my equipment?
Please view our list of recommendations on where to purchase kit from our Frequently Asked Questions.
- 1 cotton t-shirt;
- 1 cotton long sleeved shirt;
- 1 polypropylene warm but light thermal long shirt;
- 1 fleece jacket;
- 1 wind/waterproof jacket with hood.
- 1 pr. warm poly thermal gloves, with plastic wind shell;
- 1 cotton sun hat;
- 1 cotton head scarf;
- 1 fleece balaclava or very warm hat;
- 1 head torch with extra battery;
- 2 pr. cotton underwear briefs;
- 1 cotton walking shorts;
- 1 cotton long trousers;
- 1 polypropylene warm but light thermal leggings;
- 1 pr. fleece/pile/trousers;
- 1 pr. wind/waterproof trousers;
- 2 pr. cotton socks;
- 1 pr. sandals for use in hotel;
- 2 pr. med. polypropylene thermal socks;
- 1 pr. sturdy, 100% leather, top-quality trekking boots with good ankle support ("broken-in" please);
- 1 pr. trainers, lightweight running shoes for trekking on flat, easy trails;
- 1 sleeping bag (good to -10 degrees C or 10 degrees F);
- At least 1 closed cell foam kari-mats (optional). Most of the tea houses we stay in have nice soft mattresses to sleep on.
Rucksack and Travel Bags:
- 1 medium backpack (40-60 liters, can be used for airplane carry);
- 1 large kit-travel bag with lock (80-100 liters for checked bag);
- 1 toothpaste/brush;
- 1 bar soap/1 small towel;
- female or male hygiene supplies;
- 1 set earplugs;
- 1 bottle water-treatment tablets;
- 2 tubes lip sun cream, 1 tube skin sun cream (min.factor 15);
- anti-mosquito cream;
- 1 skin blister repair kit;
- 1 bottle anti-diarrhea pills;
- 1 bottle anti-headache pills;
- 1 bottle cough and/or cold medicine;
- 1 bottle anti-altitude sickness pills: Diamox, Acetylzolamide;
- 1 small bottle stomach antibiotic: Ciprofloxacin, etc.;
- Do not bring sleeping pills. They are a respiratory depressant.
Cost Includes :
- Twin sharing Accommodation BB Basis Hotels & Guest Houses.
- Sightseeing Tours
- Transportation by Private Vehicle (4WD)
- All Entrances fees to the temple & Monasteries
- English Speaking Tibetan Guide
- Tibet permits
- Travel Permit
- Tibet/China Visa fees
Cost Excludes :
- Airfare Kathmandu-Lhasa
- Airport Taxes
- Nepal re entry visa fees
- Travel Insurance
- Evacuation and Nature of Personal expenses.